.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

Monday, July 8, 2013

OH Canada!!

HAPPY CANADA DAY, FOLKS! It is a great day. We woke up and the members we live with suggested we go to Maraine Lake and Lake Louise and we totally jumped on the opportunity! We got ready real fast with our Canada shirts and headed out on the road. It was like an hour and a half drive that was well worth it. Beautiful is an understatement. And it was great weather too (miraculously)!
But this past week has just been fabulous. We were able to go to Bowness which is a city that's rightish by us that was destroyed by the flooding. We all wore our Mormon helping hands vests and headed to work. Sister Fenn and I got to go in someones basement that lived right on the river and let's just say it was horrible sight. We took shovels of muck outta there and they were ripping out flooring and walls and pretty much starting over from scratch it was crazy. But it's truly amazing how much Calgary is coming together. The community is great and they even put out a notice for no more volunteers because there were too many! But everything is getting fixed really quick including the Stampede grounds and I think we'll be able to do service in High River this week or next which I'm looking forward to. It is such a humbling experience and really makes you grateful for what you have. And makes you take a moment to think about what's important.
Then during our zone meeting on Wednesday we even got interrupted to bring in more cleaning supplies. a man walked in and was like "missionaries, you wanna see the gospel in action?" and then told us to come outside and we unloaded this HUGE trailer of stuff. it's totally amazing.
And on Friday we had re-trainer's training so all the missionaries that are being trained right now (all the ones that came out the same time as me) went to the parkland chapel like 45 minutes away and it was so great to see them all again! I miss the girls from my mtc district, they are the best. They all have this glow about them too. I just know that this is exactly where the lord wants us right here, right now.
But yeah, we mostly did a lot of service and district, zone, trainers meetings that we didn't get to meet with a lot of the people we were hoping to meet with. Bummer. But we got to meet with our investigator Justin and he is having a hard time praying and reading by himself, but I asked him to be baptized and he said yes! I'm so so so so so excited for him and hopefully he'll have a bigger desire to progress and make these steps. I know that he can and will, just in a matter of time. He is on probation so he can't actually be baptized without permission from salt lake....so please pray for him that everything will work out! and our other investigator Barb is doing fine too, she just can't find the courage to jump in feet first. She wants it all to be true and she knows that it is but she won't admit it because then she knows there will have to be change and she doesn't like change very much which is understandable I suppose but I just have so much hope for her!
On Sunday we even sang Oh Canada for our opening hymn and Sister Fenn and I gave talks in church so we were up on the stand and everyone was laughing at us because we didn't know the words, we had to use the hymn book, yes they attached it in the back of all their hhymn books.. Sister Fenn talked on missionary work, and me on the Plan of Salvation. It was lovely. Nobody was really paying much attention so I thought I'd spice things up a bit winky face hahah  and then we were also in charge of the third hour combined relief society and elders quorum meeting with Brother Palmer (ward mission leader). It was all about getting to know your neighbors. It was a really spiritual meeting which meant of course I was bawling my eyes out. really made me reflect on the impact my neighbors made as I was growing up. Because at Daddy's house on Enrose I think we did a pretty good job of neighborly love or I don't think I'd be where I am today, but I couldn't name one person who lives on Fairfield at Momma's house hahah so I think we could all do a better job of this. I challenge all of you to introduce yourself and find out three new things about one of your unknown neighbors this week. Return and report back to me! Anyway, it was a really good lesson and we brought in a lot of stuff from the broadcast last week, which if you haven't watched yet, do it! On lds.org the hastening the work of salvation part which is a great new website to check out too!
OH. It is just so great here. I love it. I just can't get enough!!!
Until next week,
Love,
Sister Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment