.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

Monday, July 8, 2013

dirty work

This past week has been craaazy!! I loved it. Two days we went to High River to help more with all the flooding. We had to leave our houses by 6:15 and didn't get home until 6:15 two days in a row! We were literally working all day doing heavy lifting and all kinds of stuff.
Our zone got assigned to work in the United Church of Canada which was way cool. The United Church has been openly rude to Mormons in the past so for them to call us and ask for help was really special. So we went and took everything out, including floor boards, insulation, dry wall, cabinets, desks, fridges, the stage, everything! The first day was really just trying to get all the muck out so we got covered it was disgusting. I had mud everywhere my clothes were trashed it was sick. And of course it smelled nasty, probably because sewage was all up in there too but I tried not to think about that very much.. You should have seen us. We were using shovels and sludge hammers and I was kicking down walls and throwing cabinets in the trash barrell. I was a monster! It was so exhilarating. I loved it. And there were so many volunteers coming with food and drinks it's amazing how the whole city of Calgary is really coming together for all of this and it's so cool to see the church's involvement. It's really quite organized, they've put a lot of work into it.
But yeah it was great. We had to carpool there and I was the driver both days so our car is totally trashed with dirt and Sister Fenn and I have been sitting on towels for the past week haha but it was worth it. I think at one point I lost a worm in my hair, yeah so gross hey?
When we were done working we were exhausted. I think I'm still recovering. I think we all know that I hate when people tell me that I can't do something or they try and help me when I am perfectly capable of doing it by myself....so I worked waaaay hard because I wanted to make some sort of statement probably because there is so much talk here about how elders are so much stronger than sisters. Yes, partly true, but I was too stubborn to accept help from them because I AM NOT WEAK RAAWRRR. haha so yeah, I was reallllly sore the next few days.
Oh so last week there were a few days of really 'hot' weather according to Canadians so in reality it was a really nice day. But you could tell everyone was really irritable and super sassy. We had a few appointed and all the couples were fighting and it was funny how much weather has an effect on people and then now of course it's raining again haha It's actually nice I love it! So different than Mesa but it's a good break.
Ah yes, fourth of July! How was it for everyone?? Hopefully you guys saw fireworks for me PLEASE. We had the pleasure of eating dinner at the Mackissack's who are American and we had a little bbq with a cute patriotic dessert. That was pretty much the extent of it haha we working in high river that day so right before we left to our work orders we sang the national anthem since pretty much all the missionaries here are American so that was my 4th!
Boy oh boy.. I just love it here so much.
Our investigator Justin said yes to baptism! yay! so he met with the zone leaders yesterday because all the permission we need for someone on parole to be baptized. so we are one step closer to him meeting with president nicholas and then toward a fresh life! I'm so excited for him I just smile thinking about it.
Well. I love you guys. So much.
I love hearing for you! (YES YOU)
You're in my prayers. Do service for those around you.
xoxoxox
Sister Davis
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment