.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Tuke


Hello from Calgary!
So everything is just fabulous. I'm not going to lie, the first day and night were super hard. It is different going from MTC with a group of twelve missionaries that are so so close to just one companion in a stranger's house. Sister Fenn, my comp, is really great but she is no Sister Harris. That was one thing that was a difficult transition. I thought it was never going to work but I just got down on my knees and prayed so hard for patience and for love and for unity between us and bam! day two was so much better.
The work isn't exactly what I expected..I don't know exactaly what I was expecting but I was thinking more investigators but instead people on the street see us and book it another direction or just avoid eye contact major haha I guess that's nothing too surprising but still I was hoping for more! haha But we have been doing a lot of member visits which is really nice. They are all so sweet and have really amazing stories. One of my favorites is Joyce Simpson. She's like 79, from Jamaica, lived in England, and then moved to Calgary. Her conversion story is so miraculous for lack of a better word. She had a dream about eight years ago where she was trying to find something and then low and behold two boys in ties helped direct her there. Then two days later she had a knock at the door and the missionaries were there! She told them "Come in, I've been expecting you" she said they were pretty confused haha but she's had lots of dreams/visions that testified the truth of the Gospel to her and it's just so special. She's awesome.
And we also got to visit the Sutor's in the ward. So nice. She made us these ginger snaps and they were absolutely amazing!! We've spent some time over there just being friends and comforts to Sister Sutor, her brother is in the hospital with all sorts of problems so she wasn't able to come to church yesterday because she was visiting him. Lots of prayers and fasts for her brother and they are working! He should be getting worse but he has gotten so so so much better over the past week yay!
So a little bit about Calgary. First, there are all different types of people here! We've had dinner with different members each night and I've had Ukrainian (It was called bosch? like a stew with beets and potatoes and some sort of meat, and then for an appetizer water chesnuts wrapped in bacon) and Korean (like little lettuce wraps with rice, egg stuff, onions, this spicy homemade paste sauce and thick Korean bacon) and all kinds of good stuff. Surprised I'm eating bacon? Yeah me too. But there is absolutely no possible way for me to be vegetarian here haha so I just gave that up and am being very thankful that I am even being fed! haha Second, it's like pretty cold here. I'm wearing full sweats and fuzzy socks to bed every night with the fattest down comforter in the world. One of the members, SIster Takahashi made sister Fenn and I little rice bags out of socks, so we drew faces on them and named them too! Mine's Tuke, which is what people call a hat here, and her's is Zed, what people call the letter 'z' And during the day I'm usually wearing my light jacket. But it is sunny and everyone is going on and on about how nice it is right now haha It's not bad at all I'm just a wimp. And every time we go into someone's house it's custom to take your shoes off at the door...so sometimes me toes get cold inside. Sister McIntyre, the members we live with in their basement, gave me a pair of slippers right when I arrived. I think that was the first question she asked me was if I had any slippers haha She's from Hong Kong and is so funny and sweet. Her husbad is some sort of doctor here and their youngest son is on a mission somewhere I forgot. But they are just so nice! Oh and bathrooms are washrooms. And the bunnies are so huge! Like I saw one run across the street yesterday and I legit thought it was a kangaroo. No lies.
But yeah it's great. We taught a lesson yesterday after church to a girl named Lisa. Her mom is a recent convert of almost a year and Lisa wanted to know why her momma was so darn happy so she started coming to church a few weeks ago. So we taught her the second half of the restoration which includes Joseph Smiths first vision when he saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. It was a really amazing lesson and the Spirit was so strong. I was tingly all through my body down to my toes and it was so calming. Lisa felt it too. She has a lot of questions and we try our best to answer all of them. She wants to be baptized just doesn't know if she's quite ready yet though.
Brother Palmer is the ward missionary leader which means he is in charge of all the missionaries in the ward, just catching up and making sure people are getting taught when they need to be and progressing and so he helps us out a lot. He reminds me of Curt Brown so much. He's super friendly and caring, but not afraid to ask direct questions and speak his mind. It's a good thing he's totally amazing cause we talk to him like every day haha
But yeah, that's what's going on here! I hope everything is going well at home. I miss you all like crazy but I know that this is exactly where the Lord wants me to be right now. Every time we teach a lesson or share part of this wonderful Gospel with strangers I just get this distinct feeling in my heart that confirms why I came on a mission. Every day just gets better and better and I love to watch other people's relationship with Christ and our Father in Heaven progress and develop. It's a really wonderful thing.
Welp, I just wrote you a freaking novel. Haha Sorry. Just so much has happened! We definitely are keeping busy.
What's new with you? I hear it's bloody hot...out by the pool? Still can't believe Fletcher is working.. How's Lynx? Someone please give Stella and Suzie a hug for me. Anna how's my nephew or niece coming along? Happy late birthday, Logan! Lynx's is coming up soon too huh? Give him a squeeze for me! Poppy, how's work, life, everything? Momma, did your cards come yet? Ha. Can't wait to hear about everything!
Love you long time,
Sister Davis
p.s. check out 3 Nephi 11:21-41 and Alma 26:12 in that Book of Mormon I gave you. They're some amazing words in there reminding us of the importance of the Lord.
xoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment